BMX Bike pegs are small little cylinders that stick out of the rear and front wheel axles. They are an added accessory and used to expand the range of tricks a rider can perform on his bike.
Commonly, pegs are fitted to perform “grinding” tricks against surfaces as the rider slides across it. With pegs on the wheel, the rider can maintain balance as they slide or perform manuals.
Purchasing the best BMX Pegs requires you to be mindful of many specifications such as weight, durability, width, length, and diameter. All these factors play a pivotal role in how well the bike withstands grinding and grating against the surface as the rider performs various stunts.
A poor-quality peg is not able to endure too much pressure. Like handlebars, they all appear almost similar in every way. For that purpose, this article will cover the best three BMX pegs along with their buyer’s guide and frequently asked questions to assist you in your purchase.
At a deep review, these BMX pegs make it to the top three because of multiple factors including their small diameters, length, and lightweight material.
Comparison Table of Best BMX Pegs
A motor Aluminum
Top 3 Best BMX Pegs
1. Odyssey MPEG Alex Pegs, 14mm, Black – Best Durable Pegs
These pegs are 14mm tough at the core, and are also reviewed as being “indestructible” by users.
Besides being extremely durable, they are made of lightweight material as compared to the other pegs and have three anti-roll positions. Odyssey MPEG Pegs are tough like steel and can withstand a lot of pressure and grinding without tearing like plastic pegs.
It allows the rider to ride with confidence and swivel their bikes at random angles as they skip in the air. The Odyssey MPEG pegs have a small diameter of 1.3 inches, which expands the space to perform road-tricks. They also come with adaptable axle sockets and have a finishing coat of black matte.
The biggest perk of all is that the Odyssey MPEG Alex Pegs are cost-effective, given its quality and features.
- 13lbs weight
- 3 inches diameter
- Reasonable price
- Adaptable axle sockets expand the usability
- Suitable for any level of rider
- May require long socket wrench to fit
- Slightly heavy for some users
2. Black Ops Lead Foot BMX Pegs – Best Peg for Beginners
The Black Ops Lead Foot BMX Peg is a perfect pair of pegs for an entry-level or average rider. They are produced from steel and manufactured with grooves spread all over its structurally sound body.
This provides the bike the stability and controls it needs when performing an array of road-tricks on bumpy surfaces. Most of the pegs manufactured under the Black Ops brand have a thread pattern of 3/8 x 26t, which is adaptable to be fitted into any kind of Best BMX bike.
The diameter of 1.6 inches allows the rider with a greater surface area to bring their shoes in contact with the pegs. A bit less inexpensive than the Odyssey’s pegs, they have a glossy black shine to it.
- Heavy-duty steel construction
- Grooves maximize control
- The diameter of 1.6 inches
- Great value for money
- Extremely durable and strong
- May require longer threading in some bikes
- Heavy material can cause injury if mishandled
3. Novatec Steel Pegs for 3/8 axles – Best Stable BMX Peg
The concluding set of BMX bike pegs are the Novatec Steel Pegs by the brand Nova. They can fit into 3/8 axles and have a 24t threading. They measure 4.3″ in length, which is sufficient for any inexperienced rider’s foot to comfortably grab onto without losing control.
Manufactured from strong steel, they have high durability and sturdiness. Its structurally sound body comes with ridges with maximizing friction when the peg grinds onto the surface. This is a bonus feature for amateur BMX riders who have to maintain balance and control when doing stunts.
Glossy black, they are highly affordable for all as they are priced keeping in mind the newbie rider who wants to make it to the track first without paying too much.
- Made up of strong, rigid steel
- Fitted into 3/8 axles with 24t threading
- Comes with 38mm width and a glossy black color
- Long enough to let any kind of rider keep control
- Ridged surface maximizes friction, increasing stability
- May not be adaptable for all bikes
- Not recommended for expert riders
Just by name Butter, these BNX pegs are as smooth and soft as a buttery texture. Typically, the cult butter pegs were designed a few years ago by the company Cult. Hence, from that time till now these pegs have established unbreakable trust among users of different classes. Thus making these pegs stay for longer. Generally, the Butter pegs by Cult involve an aluminum core along with a replaceable nylon sleeve. Additionally, these pegs have a heat-treated 4130 Chromoly core with the addition of high-quality Perlon-Nylon 6 sleeves. One can also get the low quality of cheap sleeves for their Butter pegs separately. Furthermore, these pegs are made up of axles of 14mm though they come up with 3/8 inch adapters (10mm)
- No discontinuation by the manufacturer
- 87” * 5.91” * 3.94” inches product dimensions with the weight of 6.7 Ounces
- Recommended for Unisex-adult
- Available Date: July 27, 2017
- Manufacturer: CULT
- Top seller product with the Best Sellers Rank number 509 and 521 in Sports & Outdoors and stand at #927 in Bike Grips category.
- Stylish and smooth design that always looks great
- The medium-weight helps them to carry it with ease
- Sturdy pegs can stay with you for a longer time.
- Comes within the size of 3/8 inches that don’t require the use of an adapter
- High quality with amazing thickness and length for great control
- Don’t dent easily
- After some time you might find letters rust in the pegs especially at the CULT logo
- Some user complaint about they don’t have any grooves at its side that goes on the dropout
These high-quality pegs are made up of high-strength material i.e. aluminum alloy. That has a tendency to build sturdy and strong design and can hold heavy weight-bearing. When talking about the size of the product, you will be surprised that these pegs have 3.9in*1.1 in (100mm*28mm) dimensions and Fit axles at 3/8 inches. Mostly it is suitable for universal, road, BMX, mountain, MTB bikes, etc. Additionally, these pegs have super amazing functions such as Knurled pegs, anti-skid compact design making them suitable for both front and rear axles. A convenient tool that must give a try. With less hustle and complications, one can easily mount these pegs on the rear axle to their BMX bike and install the shaft screws that can leak up to 6mm. one can also directly remove the shaft nuts into the longer screw leaks. Thus make this a safer and easy to use installation. With the durable and stylish cylindrical shape that comes with non-slippery grooves and a safe, durable design.
- Recommended Models: Mountain bike, BMX show BMX and Regular bike
- 6061 Aluminum Alloy is used as a manufacturing material
- 58g per piece weight
- Product size: 28mm*100mm or 3.9″*1.1″
- Available color: Black, Green, and Purple
- Process: Cold extrusion, one molding
- Load Bearing Capacity is ≤100kg or 200lb
- These pegs are light in weight and durable
- Typically these cylindrical pegs have the property of anti-slip twill on the surface
- The sturdy design makes these pegs stay with you for a longer time
- Can bear the load of up to 100 kg
- Since the quick release hubs bike cannot be installed
- Make sure not to stand on your feet while cycling or reducing any danger
- The pegs are only suitable for axles 3/8 inches x 26T, thus make sure your bike meets this criterion before buying these pegs.
Typically, 25NINW BMX bike pegs are providing the riders most buttery and smooth experience that can be last for a longer time. As a result of extensive real-time test and trail on the proving grounds, the company always come with the innovative ideas that will stay with you forever. With the dimension of 109mm * 40 mm long, these 25NINE pegs turn to be an ideal choice for the riders who love to experiment their riding skills into different categories such as a mountain, BMX or road bikes for all types of riding that includes a park, street, metal coping or rails, etc. So for everyone 25NINE has pegs that will help you in getting it all. The pegs are compatible with both 14mm and 3/8 inch axles, so you don’t have to worry about any compatibility issues. Thus, make sure to use the appropriate adapter that makes the pegs fully compatible with 3/8 axles. These pegs are specifically designed with a durable 7075 aluminum core that is encased into polycarbonate sleeves. This enhances the durability of these pegs. Additionally, it includes anti-rotation pins that protect them from spinning and becoming loose.
- Product Dimensions and size is 4” * 3” * 2” inches
- Weight of 9.6 Ounces
- Available dates: October 31, 2017
- Product Manufacturer: 25NINE
- Compatible with both 14mm and 3/8 inch axles
- Awarded with Best Sellers Rank number 111,850 in Sports & Outdoors and number 26 in Bike Pegs
- Bomber construction –Constructed with a lightweight and high-quality durable material
- Not like plastic pegs, these are made with aluminum and encased in polycarbonate sleeves.
- Ideal for all types of riding
- Great compatibility that will fit with different axles.
- Less hustle in adjusting and tightening the pegs as it comes with anti-rotation pins.
- Many riders complain about the problems with these pegs that they include a hard plastic that is surrounded the spinning medal. So, if you stand on them to trick you might slip off.
- The product includes only a pair of pegs and doesn’t send the adapters with them.
- For some new BMX riders, you must learn how to fix these pegs by own as it doesn’t come with any installation manual.
These Mongoose freestyle pegs are from one of the finest and renowned brands Protective Technologies. Since the company is popular and trusted by all the riders worldwide. Hence, pegs from this company are always a blessing. So these pegs are compatible with every freestyle BMX bike and especially Mongoose. As it includes everything one can ever ask for.
Thus, similar to any other piece of Mongoose bike gear, these pegs from Protective Technologies are already taken everyone’s attention due to their high quality and specs in their manufacturing and designs. Furthermore, they are made up of some great-quality of sturdy steel that also include some astonishing chrome-plated finishing.
In other words, these pegs are unique that are constructed on very tough core constructions that every rider needs. Hence, they add up the nicest combination of sturdy design and flashy texture. These pegs for sure will bring more thrill to you are your biking experience. Moreover, it is useful for all types of freestyle riders from beginners to native. Having these pegs with you while riding or performing tricks can double your adventure. We surely recommend you to give them a big try.
- Product Dimensions and size is10.6” * 5.7” * 1.8” inches
- Weight is around 1.2 Pounds
- The recommended age to use these pegs are between 5 to 14 years
- The First Available date was September 8, 2006
- Manufacturer: Protective Technologies
- Chrome-finish –The exterior design of the pegs is Chrome finished along with sturdy steel is used underneath
- Two heavy-duty pegs (2) for any bike or specially Mongoose Freestyle holding a standard axle diameter
- Uses less than minutes and can be installed easily
- Perfectly fitted and specifically designed for Mongoose BMX bikes
- For tool-free installation, internal threading has been used.
- Sturdy design always help the BMX riders to take the risk and can take a lot of grinding
- Awarded as Best Sellers Ran number 145 and127 in Sports & Outdoors and number 31 in Bike Pegs
- Includes pair of pegs (2) in a pack to install on both sides of any front or rear axle
- High-quality sturdy design
- Lightweight and durable for a long-lasting riding experience
- Strong construction of pegs enable the riders to perform tricky, cool, and dangerous tricks on Mongoose or any other freestyle bike
- For any BMX bike rather than Mongoose, make sure it is compatible with the standard axle diameter along with threads per inch to fit perfectly.
- Classic Chrome finishing makes these pegs more attractive, impeccable when performing tricks.
- Less tricky installations mean less fatigue and no hustle.
- User-friendly and intuitive design making it an ideal choice for the beginners
- Can take rough BMX riding smoother
- There are still some riders who find it quite difficult to install these pegs on their specific type of bike. As they don’t understand the proper axle diameter of their BMX and provided pegs.
- For most riders, compatibility is an issue especially when they don’t have a Mongoose bike.
- Though the exterior chrome-plated material is an attractive addition for these pegs there is a chance when the rider will have a low grip overall. One might deal with a loose grip due to the Chrome finishing. Make sure you test them before buying these pegs.
Buying Guide Of Best BMX Pegs
Along with the pegs, your bike must also be equipped with the Best BMX Fork and BMX Bikes Stem to have more control and much better riding experience. But for now, we will only be talking all about the pegs.
Buying pegs for a BMX bike largely depends on your experience as a rider and how you intend to drive your bike. If you’re a person who loves to do stunts and has an expanded vocabulary of road-tricks, you would need pegs that are “indestructible.” Similarly, if you are a novice, you must select the longer ones to help you keep a secured grip at the pegs.
Therefore, once you have your requirements sorted out, the next specifications to keep under consideration are the following:
As compared to lightweight aluminium material, pegs made of up of Chromoly steel are far more durable and lighter in weight than the steel, if not like aluminium. However, durability is the more sought-after feature when choosing pegs because these grind with the surface and have a higher chance to tear or bend.
Between aluminium and steel, you may choose chromo or steel pegs to get value for money.
The length of the pegs determines the comfort of the rider. These vary in length as per the requirement of the riders. However, those BMX bike riders who are looking to perform stunts should look out for pegs that are 4 or 4.5 inches long.
3) Axle size
Similar to the length, the axle size should be closely studied to suit your personal BMX setup. Commonly, you will find 14mm axle size on most standard BMX bikes, whereas an axle size of 3/8mm is more casual for extreme riding.
The diameter of the pegs also translates to its width. This is another feature to customize according to the personal BMX setup and requirement. From a general viewpoint, BMX riders tend to select pegs with a smaller diameter because those are lighter in weight than the ones with a bigger diameter.
The lightweight pegs minimize the load on the bikes.
Before going to shop for bike pegs for your BMX setup, you must sort out your preferences. This will automatically filter down your choices and make your decision easier.
Top 10 BMX Peg Brands
- Black Ops
- Small Star
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1) How many pegs come in a pack?
The pegs are delivered as a pair, meaning 2 pegs in one package.
2) Can these be installed into other bikes?
Yes, as long as the axle and the thread fit. The pegs come with an adapter as well, which might be beneficial for fixing in other bikes.
3) What is a plastic peg?
Plastic pegs come with an inner sleeve with a metal shell to serve for rigidity while keeping lightweight. For heavy-stunts, plastic pegs are prone to break.
This was all about the best BMX pegs of 2020. They come with a lot of variation, so it might be difficult to make a decision. That is the reason why we not just reviewed the best 3 products, but also included a detailed buying guide and FAQs.
We hope that this will help you in purchasing the best possible BMX pegs. Which one was your favourite? Let us know.
Hi, I’m Mike, working as a content strategist at BMX Brand Guide. I’m in love with BMX since childhood when my parents bought me a bicycle. Since then, I have been exploring them and is a first-hand witness of how BMX has evolved. I have been sharing my expertise and knowledge with the public through this site.