Cycling is gaining increased popularity these days as it’s just not just associated with uplifting your physical level but is even inclined towards mental strengthening. However, to avail of these benefits, it is pertinent to have a good BMX, along with its right components, so that you can have a comfortable ride.
One of those components is the grips for BMX bikes. Grip choice will account for how comfortable you are on the BMX. From your hand arm position to break application to gear shifting, all come under its control. Above all, a comfortable best BMX grips will help you have control over your ride.
A rubber tubing that allows you to grasp your bicycle confidently defines well what a grip is. Its simplicity hides in a challenging aspect of choosing the right one. The difficulty lies in the fact that several BMX handlebar grips in the market account for riders’ battling situations, I.e. they are not of good quality. A grip is a small part of the bike but needs to be chosen carefully. This is because a cheap BMX grip can make it difficult or even impossible to ride a bike.
That is the reason we conducted thorough research for the best BMX race grips in the market and selected the top 5 grips you can try out. Furthermore, you can also check the buyer’s guide to having a much better insight into this aspect.
List of Best BMX Grips 2021
1. ODI Cult X Vans Grips – Most Comfortable BMX Grips
If you want to own a classic Van Waffle Pattern by your most loved BMX ODI brand, these grips are for you. The pattern possesses wholesome popularity as it imparts the most needed comfort to the riders. The ODI Vans Cult BMX handgrip is flangeless. Though, the brand also offers grips that come with flanges.
The ODI grip BMX doesn’t provide much flexibility. To put in this property, manufacturers use soft proprietary rubber material. These grips offer a much needed cushioning effect. These have a fair amount to give your hands a little relief, but at the same time, it feels firm. If you have trouble understanding how to put grips on a BMX bike, this one is for you. They are relatively simple to put on a BMX.
- Length 143 mm and weighs 0.05kg
- Comes in several colors – Beige, Black, Gum, White
- Made up of rubber proprietary compound (synthetic material)
- Firm grip due to Vans & Cult waffle pattern
- Available in three beautiful colors (Black, White, and Gum)
- Grip loosens when your hands are wet
- Grips are very durable
2. ODI MX Longneck SL No Flange Grip – Most Stylish BMX Grip
The grip has amazing plush and comfy. These BMX handlebar grips and are hard to pull off once installed, which is a good thing. They work like a pro. The BMX handgrip is known to provide the most needed quality to the riders. Though the grip feels soft because it’s made out of plastic, it never fails to impart the firm feels.
The longneck ribbed BMX grips come without a flange. These are most accurate to accommodate the end plugs without bearing an extra task. Its popularity is not just because of its lightweight but also because of the variety of colors it comes with. The Mushroom style and collapsible rib patterns are a treat to watch.
- It comes in a total of 7 colors and weighs 0.25lbs.
- It is made up of plastic.
- It is about 135mm long.
- Easy to install all by yourself.
- Open Ends/No Flanges.
- Don’t come in regular handle size
- Once these grips are wet, they deform.
3. LYCAON Non-Slip BMX Grips – Best Non-Slip BMX Grips
The grip and clamp feel great. The horizontal and vertical designs on the grips turn out to be fascinating and would appeal to anyone who has a high sense of taste. In short, you can call them cool BMX grips.
Lycaon understands that hard to install grips can be a big ordeal. Therefore, they have created these pro BMX grips that are easy to install. They lock on tight. The end caps are well adapted.
- Per pair weight 116g (4.1 oz)
- Outer diameter 20-22mm.
- Comes with Aluminum Lock
- Get these within your pocket limits.
- Easy to install.
- The end caps fell off in some grips.
- Lose its grip with time.
4. Marque Race Handlebar Grips – Best Ergonomic BMX Grips
We these days are after ergonomic style to meet all our needs. Marque grips for BMX bikes are perfect for fulfilling this purpose. It comes with a unique Knurly Gritty Pattern and Half Waffle Pattern for a firm grip on the handles while riding. It’s suitable for all adventures you are about to plan.
The shock-absorbing property of grips is very distinctive. Marque grips are made up of TPR rubber material, which serves to be a better shock absorber. Additionally, it is designed to target mountain bike riders. Utmost comfort is imparted with mushroom design near the thumb and index area. It won’t be wrong to call them one of the most comfortable bike grips.
- 30.3mm outside diameter
- An aluminum alloy lock allows secure gripping.
- Excellent shock absorber
- Incredible pattern design is known to increase traction.
- Great value for money.
- The end of the grip is not usable
- The inappropriate installation will affect the grip’s durability.
5. Top Cabin Handlebar Grips – Best Lightweight BMX Grips
The grip is preliminarily made up of rubber and aluminum. Aluminum is the lightest-known metal on earth, while soft Kraton rubber with pattern provides extra grip while riding. Above all, the packaged material comes with heavy-duty Allen key lock-on clamps for subtle gripping. These alloy rings are of high quality, smooth finish, and consistent anodizing.
The durable grips for BMX rides with ergonomic design prevent muscle aching and fatigue while on great ventures. Topcain BMX grips are easy to install. The best part about these is that even when your bars are a little damp from removing old clasps; they don’t roll or slide around once tightened down. Consequently, they are also good BMX race grips. Sustainability and durability are the hallmarks of Topcabin bicycle grip.
- Length: 130 mm
- The internal diameter is 23mm
- Comes with End Caps
- Made for all bike types with a standard handle length.
- Easy to install.
- The screw comes out if not bolted well
- Rubber isn’t that soft for a kid to ride bikes with.
Comparison Table of Best BMX Grips
Buyer’s Guide of Best BMX Grips
The difficulty in choosing the best BMX grip grows well with the increasing competition between the brands. Therefore, apart from the above information, we have created a buying guide to further ease your buying decision.
- Grip thickness – Some may find a thinner grip comfortable than a thicker one. Opt for the type which suits you best. Riders with small hands find that the most comfortable bike grips are the thinner ones. These also provide better control over their ride.
On the other hand, it’s the opposite of the riders owning large paws. BMX sports requires a lot of discipline in itself. Hence, you should choose thickness with extreme caution.
- Grip Type – You may have a plain-gauge grip with uniform thickness throughout the length or a non-uniform, bulged palm bulge grip. The latter accounts for better comfort when compared to the former one.
- Grip patterns – As discussed in the product review above, there are many cool BMX grips available in the market. You can own a waffle-styled grip or a bouncy one; it’s all your choice. It’s just to give your cycle’s handles a pro look – has nothing to do with comfort.
- BMX Bar ends – To prevent grips from slipping off, these Bar ends turn out to be the most considerate spec for a grip. They are usually made of rubber and plastic while some are of aluminum too. Not all BMX hand grips come with a bar ends.
Top 10 BMX Grip Brands
- WC components
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long are BMX grips?
BMX handle bar grips come in several sizes. The length ranges from about 130mm to 160mm. The diameter varies between 30-35mm. The overall feel of the grip goes just with a few millimeters of the diameters range.
How hard the rubber grips should be?
A term called durometer measures the hardness of the rubber. It varies between 0-100. The lower the range, the softer the material, and the more comfortable the BMX grip will be, and vice versa. BMX grips have a durometer value between 25-35 degrees. Certain modifications are done with the rubber to increase the durability of the material. Krayton rubber BMX grips are famous in these terms.
What are flanges and flangeless grips?
These are added to prevent the hands from slipping off the BMX hand grip. They have a small rubber damp at the open side of the grip. They may be tall, short, or none. These days flangeless grips have gained tremendous popularity.
Once you know your preferences and your requirements, it gets easy to purchase any of the products. It’s a pro tip to check out for the product’s specification before paying for it. BMX grips, however, can turn out to be real, accurate riding stuff imparting the most needed comfort on the venture.
Hi, I’m Mike, working as a content strategist at BMX Brand Guide. I’m in love with BMX since childhood when my parents bought me a bicycle. Since then, I have been exploring them and is a first-hand witness of how BMX has evolved. I have been sharing my expertise and knowledge with the public through this site.